Luvs Iesous

Musings by a 'single' church planter about the state of the internet and its effect upon the Church today.

Name:
Location: Texas

I am a 'native Texan' that loves travelling. Every where I go, I meet people that desire a deeper spiritual meaning to their lives. I ENJOY watching God's people respond to His call and watching God grow His churches. Can you tell that God has called me to plant churches?

Sunday, July 29, 2007

What did Jesus do?

A friend of mine called me today. He shared a story with me. He shared with me how my investing time in other people, had led him to lead a friend of his to do the same thing.

First, let us look at the historical picture that I did not know about when I was just doing what I always try to do - follow Jesus.

About a hundred years ago, a pastor began asking "What would Jesus do?". His book was a success, and his book led to the use of that phrase again at the end of last century. When I began engaging people in their lives, I had no idea about Reverend Sheldon and his book. I had no idea that his book had led to the mini 'movement' that had bracelets all over the world with the letters: "WWJD". I did not understand that asking "what would Jesus do?" was even 'important' to what I was doing.

Rather, I was trying to follow Jesus. And in following Him, I always thought about "What did Jesus do?" I did not concern myself as much with "What would He do now?" as I did with "What did He do then?"

So, what did Jesus do? I ask this on a journey to find what would Jesus want us to do.

I believe one of the greatest stories of what He did do is found in the story of the woman at the well. The story of the woman at the well (aka the Samaritan woman) leads me to find some nuggets in the daily life of Jesus Christ.

First, Jesus was going about his day . . . He did not stop by the office and pick up tracks on how a Samaritan woman can be saved. He was just going about His day.

Second, He engaged the woman where she was. He engaged her in conversation. Admittedly, His talking with a woman of low character was not what she expected. However, He engaged Himself into her life. He did not say to Himself, "This is a woman that a respectable Christ should be seen with." No, He engaged a woman that He knew had potential. He looked passed her past and looked into her future.

Third, He knew (He believed) that He could make a difference in her life. He did not start with "If you do not repent, you are going to burn in Hell." Instead, He expressed genuine compassion for her condition. And He brought her to the realization that she should change. He did this not by looking down His nose at her, rather He showed her that he cared. His caring for her, was probably the first time in her life that a man had genuinely cared about her well being.

Why did my friend share with me a story about his fried witnessing to some people in Omaha? Because my brother in Christ had been moved by my interaction with other people. You see I have a habit. I have a habit of finding out where people are on their journey to meet the 'Maker'.

Our brother had picked up my habit. And as often as he can, he leads other people to begin this simple habit. So my brother Grizzly Wilson was calling to let me know that his friend had stumbled while using 'your technique, Wayne'. (Like I develop techniques for God instead of God developing techniques for me . . . )

;)

Wayne, you should have been there. "He just couldn't seem to get a rhythm with what he was trying to say, but finally he used your technique: "We have a habit of praying before our meals, and we would like to know if there is anything we can pray about for you"?" His answer must have let them down, because he said, "No."

But, he came back later and knelt down beside their table and said, "Nobody has ever asked if they could pray for me. I want to know more."

First, they were just going about their lives. Second, they just casually engaged someone around them. Third, they believed that they could (the Gospel through them could) make a difference in this man's life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home